MINNEAPOLIS – Lower than two weeks in the past, College of Minnesota volleyball coach Hugh McCutcheon introduced in a press launch that he was retiring from this system after the 2022 season, his eleventh with the Gophers.
Now, we all know why. Minnesota athletic director Mark Coyle introduced Tuesday that McCutcheon will assume a newly created place as assistant athletic director and sports activities improvement coach. That may take impact on January 1, 2023.
“I’m excited for Hugh to start this new position in January,” Coyle stated Tuesday in an announcement. “His steering and confirmed management will profit all of our coaches as we proceed to work to supply a world-class, holistic expertise for our student-athletes. Hugh has had success on the Olympic and collegiate stage teaching each women and men, and I I do know he’ll be capable to deliver extra worth to our packages beginning in January. Within the meantime, we’ll proceed to do all the things we will to help Hugh and his crew after the season is over.”
Coyle additionally introduced a 10-member committee to search out the subsequent Gophers volleyball coach.
- Mark Coyle, Director of Athletics (Recruiting Authority)
- Julie Manning, Deputy AD/SWA (committee chair)
- Tricia Budke, Director of Human Assets/Chief of Employees
- JT Bruett, Director of the Lindahl Educational Middle
- Stephanie Davis, AD Affiliate / Occasion Administration
- Susan Goldstein, Affiliate Professor Carlson College of Administration
- Katie Harms, Residing House Specialist, Podcaster, and U of M Benefactor
- Melissa Maines, Common Supervisor of Girls’s Basketball
- Tim McCleary, Sr. Affiliate AD/Enterprise Operations/CFO
- Peyton Owens III, St. Affiliate AD/Management and Inclusion
McCutcheon has led the Gophers to 2 Large Ten titles and three NCAA Last Fours in additional than 10 seasons. Minnesota is 12-6 this season and 7-3 within the Large Ten after wins over Iowa and Purdue final week.
McCutcheon knowledgeable his present crew at a gathering on October 16 that he would retire after this season. Chatting with reporters final Tuesday earlier than apply at Maturi Pavilion, he declined to elaborate on the matter, saying he would focus on the choice after the season.
“We’ll speak about it on the finish of the season. I recognize everybody’s concern, however proper now the main target needs to be on the crew and it’s,” McCutcheon stated. “All I am enthusiastic about is that this season and making an attempt to complete it one of the best we will. The opposite issues, once more, we will speak on the finish of the yr. I am going to speak about all of the the explanation why it occurred the way in which it did on the finish of the season.” .